Saturday, June 4, 2011

Inspiration Translation - Pencil Skirt and Polka Dots

A few days ago I came across this look and I knew immediately that I would want to recreate it.


I've always been a fan of vintage clothing and this look reminds me of a classic film actress.  From the red lipstick and pearls to the basic black pencil skirt and structured handbag, this represents a look that is retro, yet timeless. 

By pulling items from my closet, I was able to create a similar look.


Pearls, Gifts from Mom : Earrings, Nordstroms Rack : Shirt, Macy's : Scarf, Thrifted : Skirt, Nordstroms : Belt, Macy's

Handbag, Rachel's Place : Hosiery, Nordstroms Rack : Shoes, Nine West

Now before you assume that I have a closet that rivals Mariah Carey's in size, I have a confession to make. Recreating a look on a budget can be tricky and often requires some improvisation. In this case, I do happen to own most of the pieces that the model is wearing (basic career wardrobe staples for many women) and I substituted her white blazer with a white shirt.  The only thing I don't own is a polka dot blouse, however I did find the polka dot scarf featured here at a local thrift store for $3.


A little creative tuck and fold was all I needed to duplicate the look!

So if you're like me...low on cash, but frequently bored with your wardrobe, look around for inspiration. The possibilities are endless and you may find that your next great outfit is already sitting right in your closet.

- S.




2 comments:

  1. I really like this look! Classy, stylish, and timeless. I want to update my wardrobe soon... I see I've got some past posts to preview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Ebony! =)

    ReplyDelete