Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Thread that Needle

I'm not a seamstress, by any stretch of the imagination!  However my mother taught me to never be afraid to thread a needle and use it if necessary.  She instructed me on how to shorten or lengthen a hem, repair loose stitches, alter pants, or restruct a garment.  I've made throw pillows, shortened trousers for the guys, created Halloween costumes, replaced buttons, and sewn many things that proved I was a good student.

Point being, it's not a waste to learn how to stitch!  You can actually save money by doing things yourself. Also you can have fun perfecting things you'd like to buy or keep, just by making minor alterations.

Recently, on a thrifting excursion, I purchased a vintage blouse designed by "Castleberry".  I paid exactly $1.00 .  I was drawn to it, because of it's classic style.  However it was too large, and I didn't care for the sleeves, so I decided to slightly change it's look.

Take a look:

A vintage Castleberry Blouse with knit waist band



Castleberry blouse in it's original style
A slightly different look - Sleeves cut off and rolled up, altered each side and  sleeves for better fit - Gold chain belt, vintage

With collar opened - Gold necklace H&M, Earrings KJL, Saks Fifth Avenue
Not bad for a $1.00
  
If you find a good buy that you like, but it's not perfect.....remember Mr.Gunn's quote on "Project Runway"  "Make it Work".

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment